Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Roy Orbison Does NOT Like Cocoa Puffs!!!

http://www.shorefire.com/media/ROY%20ORBISON_box%20set%20cover_small_20080814_150059.JPGI'm not even going to bother to explain. Busy, busy and EXHAUSTIVELY busy the past few days. Let's do a rundown:

WEDNESDAY – American Idol and the sheep of America again voted for the cute face and NOT the best artist. Spent hours fuming and ranting about Promking Syndrome and its effects on the youth of America. And before you even say it, I know Crystal Bowersox will do just fine as a professional artist, but that's not the point! The point is even my dog knows the difference between a talented young lady and a guy who literally could not sing better than Bono's underwear. My god. He turned A BEAUTIFUL DAY into IT'S KIND OF AN OKAY DAY.

THURSDAY – Work in the city. Came home and changed pants for the wife's birthday party at the in-laws. Ate some great chicken, artisan breads and a WHOLE mess of strawberries (Kudos to Jill closs for the spread!) After stuffing myself to the point of being a wood tick, I watched the season finale to Flash Forward and then a riveting Hollywood affair titled The American Cinematecque Honors Matt Damon. Yeah, you heard me right. Matt Damon. I couldn't help but sit glued listening to greats like Clint Eastwood and George Clooney basically telling America they think it's kind of lame to to have an honors banquet for someone Damon's age. He's like thirteen now, right?

FRIDAY – I decided Friday morning that I needed to be a kid again and had a bowl of Cocoa Puffs for breakfast. An hour later on the 24th floor of a high-rise in Minneapolis, the Cocoa Puffs find their home in a freshly cleaned toilet after a maneauver I can only compare to the shaving cream splatters. After work, we drove up to the cabin safely. And I need to take some time here to brag about this new route I found around every speck of traffic in the cities to ensure a smooth, fast, clean ride to the big lake. I'd tell you where it is, but I don't want you on my road...so suck it!

SATURDAY – Wow. Let the festival begin! Started the morning off lumberjacking a few dead trees on the cabin lot. Hard work in the hot sun. The smell of melting fat guy wafts around the lake. At one point, my life flashes in front of my eyes when, as I held the ladder for mt chainsawing brother, a thick branch plunges through the rungs of the ladder and spears me in the chest. I thought I was done for and half expected blood to spurt from my mouth like those orcish weirdos in Lord of the Rings. But, I did not perish on Pelannor fields that day. Heck no. We had DodgeKickBean Ball to play (yep, invented another cool game for the kids), hours of tennis to play in the hotter sun and night of fishing (snagged a limit of walleye). Oh, and while netting a fish for my sister, I lost my glasses and her cigarette lighter to the briny deep. Captain Klutzmeister. It isn't a Welvaert weekend if someone isn't screwing something up.

SUNDAY – I gained a new moniker. Since I left my glasses at the bottom of the lake, I must go through the rest of weekend wearing my prescription sunglasses and thus my new name is Roy Orbison. The weather was a bit cooler today, so more DodgeKickBean Ball was in order, followed by an afternoon campfire and roasted marshmallows. In my quest to be like a kid again, I eat 4 roasted marshmallows. An hour later, I'm performing the Shaving Cream Splatters...again. I'm starting to wonder if the sugar-related events of being a kid aren't trying to tell me something. Ended the night with another limit of walleye (Way to go pops – lighting up the yellow hook).

MONDAY – Drove home from the cabin. Caught up on yardwork. Caught up on gardening. Caught up on laundry. Invented a new hamburger (put the barbeque sauce in the hamburger instead of an egg and make your patties – YUM). Sat down to write the blog and realized with great pain that everything for the last 5 days: DodgeKickBean Ball, Cocoa Puffs, marshmallows, tennis, lumberjacking, fishing...everything had made me absolutely exhausted. I wrote two sentences of tripe and hit the sack.

Exhaustion. It comes a lot quicker and sooner as I get older. Today, I was hopped up on allergy meds and not challenged at work today, so it took Green Lantern like strength to just keep from collapsing in my cube. On Saturday, I was exhausted but I kept chugging. Today, I got home and instead of napping, I cooked dinner and then grabbed the kids for a bike ride. Now, I'm up blogging, applying for jobs and got a headful of ideas brewing.

I think I'm going to continue trying to do the opposite, despite what everything is telling me. Good job, Roy.


No comments:

Post a Comment