Thursday, August 26, 2010

Corn Dogs


I’ve been stuck on some very depressing subjects lately. Self-doubt, the impending doom of America, being unemployed. So today, I went out of my way to witness something humorous and light-hearted. Walking to the bus stop, I watched to see if something stuck out. A rogue banana peel waiting to trip someone up. Bombardier pigeons. A bus puddle splash. Nothing. I got on the bus and took out my book to read – The Book Thief, nice. A very thin, young woman sat in the seat next to me. She had a purse, a large green bag stuffed to the gills and medium sized legal box full of office and desktop knick-knacks.


I know.


Here I’m looking for something to bring me up and I get a downer. I guess lately, since I’ve been contracting and looking towards getting in at the bank FT, I had forgotten how bad it is out there still. On the bus ride home, I couldn’t help but glance at the woman every minute or so as she stared listlessly out the window.

I still can’t shake the image. Imagine having to loss you job, pack up your things and then ride the bus home for 45 minutes so everyone could see. I felt terrible. For the rest of the bus ride, I sat with my book, pretending to read and thinking about different alternatives for the young lady. Perhaps she wasn’t laid off. Maybe she quit because she got a better job. She won the lottery. She got cast in the next J.J. Abrams movie. Her stock portfolio hit it big. Yeah, that’s the ticket.

Why is it so hard to think positively in America lately?


Think light-hearted.


Think about better times.


Shit, think about escaping to a different universe


I saw Scott Pilgrim vs. the World a couple weekends ago. That was fun. A very delightful, hilarious escape.


And this weekend, fantasy football. Yeah, baby! Pack the Excedrin and the cheatsheets and get your wing-eating fingers ready to go.


And on Sunday, we’re going to the State Fair for the first time in seven or so years. There is a gyro and about ten corn dogs with my name on them, waiting for me.


Is it wrong to think about doing something fun? Should we hunker down in our depression and worry, wondering when and if things are going to improve? Do we let all this crap get to us? Isn't that letting them win?


I don't know about you, but I’m going to get a corn dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment