Thursday, May 20, 2010

Helicopter Seedpods, Skipping and the Amazing Sam Rockwell


Okay, no talk of Matrices, or Cathy's books today. Sorry, Cathy.

But I must get one thing off my chest quick. Sam Rockwell is a freaking genius actor. From his rollicking turn as crazed fan and former cast member in Galaxy Quest to his recent foil as Tony Stark's business nemesis, Sam Rockwell just amazes me. This afternoon I watched a smaller film called Moon. It's about a man that runs a space station on the moon all by his onesie. Kevin Spacey actually plays his robot friend...in a a great voice over role (watchout HAL!).

This film knocked it out of the park. I haven't seen a performance like this in a long time. I mean Jeff Bridges was good in Crazy Heart last year, but come on, another alcoholic overcoming his demons. Been there. We're talking about a man dealing with the isolation of living on the moon away from his wife and child for three years. It's like The Shining – ON THE MOON!!! Yeah, there is a touch of creepiness and craziness and a twist that will rock your preconceptions about your own existence.

Moon.

Netflix it and watch it now. Also queue up Galaxy Quest for a really zany, fun film which kind of announced Rockwell's jump onto the scene. Finally, go see him in Iron Man 2. His banter and interaction with RDJ is absolutely fabulous and worth the ticket price alone (as is Scarlet Johannson's Black Widow – yowzers).

Okay. So today, I did a few things that made me feel like a kid today. Remember in school, when class got boring and you spent most of your time doodling on your Trapper Keeper as the teachers drone on and on? Yeah, I did something like that except I wrote a story. I'll leave it at that.

I think I wanted to do a bunch of kid stuff today, because I didn't stop at the above incident. After work, I took Christa to the park and on our way, she started skipping. Well, now I'm a portly dude in khaki shorts and blue shirt – imagine Homer Simpson except a lot less yellow and much more hair on the skull. So I followed her, skipping along. Now, it's weird. I haven't skipped in ages. And I must say, it's an adjustment when you're bigger and taller. Mainly, you have to make sure of your rhythm is on, because tripping and falling now is a lot farther up than when I was six.

So I skipped like there was no tomorrow.

I bet the neighbors thought that was pretty weird. But it felt fun. Skipping is like walking hiccups, without the diaphragm spasms.

But I wasn't done there, nosiree! After skipping to the park, Christa and I saw that the tree next to the jungle gym had littered thousands of those whirlybird seedpods – you know the ones that spin like helicopters when you throw them in the air.

Yeah, you know where I'm going.

You can't see those things without picking up a whole handful of them and throwing them in the air, watching the miniature apaches flutter down.

Now, I'm not a big God guy. I mean I believe that some all-seeing force started all this, but whether or not it's one of the twenty or so gods that are worshipped on this planet is yet to be seen. But one thing I will say is the god that created whirly-bird seedpods, had to have designed them for the sheer fun of watching them flutter down. It had nothing to do with evolving the seedpod to spread farther away from the tree to spread the genetics. No. I see god (dress him/her up however you want) creating the pod, adding the single fin on the pod and then watching it spin down. At the first giggle of enjoyment, god stopped. His work was done. And on the tenth day he/she created whirly-bird helicopter seedpods.

And the world rejoiced.


No comments:

Post a Comment